New Delhi : On May 12th 2017 saw the biggest ever Global cyber attack in Internet history. A ransomware named WannaCry stormed through the web, with the damage epicenter being in Europe.Hackers claim to have taken control of vast amounts of patient data, and are holding it to ransom
The attack is believed to be the result of "ransomware", a type of malware that been used by computer hackers for many years to capture information, extort money or force people or organisations to behave in certain ways.
Here are the Some key characteristics of Ransomware malware:
1. Ransomware is a type of malicious software that carries out the cryptoviral extortion attack from cryptovirology that blocks access to data until a ransom is paid and displays a message requesting payment to unlock it.
2. The motive for ransomware attacks is monetary, and unlike other types of attacks, the victim is usually notified that an exploit has occurred and is given instructions for how to recover from the attack. Payment is often demanded in virtual currency to protect the criminal’s identity.
3. Ransomware malware can be spread through malicious e-mail attachments, infected software apps, infected external storage devices and compromised websites.
4. Ransomware is a denial-of-access attack that prevents computer users from accessing files since it is intractable to decrypt the files without the decryption key.
5. Ransomware attacks are typically carried out using a Trojan that has a payload disguised as a legitimate file.
6. It will display an image or a message that lets you know your data has been encrypted and that you have to pay a specific sum of money to get it back
7. It frequently features data exfiltration capabilities, which means that it can also extract data from the affected computer (usernames, passwords, email addresses, etc.) and send it to a server controlled by cyber criminals; encrypting files isn’t always the endgame.
8. It can spread to other PCs connected to a local network, creating further damage.
9. It requests payment in Bitcoins because this crypto-currency cannot be tracked by cyber security researchers or law enforcements agencies
10. The victim may receive a pop-up message or email warning that if the ransom is not paid by a certain date, the private key required to unlock the device or decrypt files will be destroyed.
Input from Wikipedia and Agencies
- Related Keywords :
- Global cyber attack