Anydesk application may steal your money, warns RBI
New Delhi : The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has issued a warning to the smartphone users against fraud online applications being used to steal money. The download links that appear in mobile phones including device control apps like AnyDesk convinces people to download them on their mobile. Such applications give access to fraudsters in remotely using your mobile device for carrying out fraudulent transactions.
The app is capable of acquiring all the details from a smartphone user while it asks for regular privacy permissions during download.
Here is all you need to know about the banking fraud with the help of remote device control apps like AnyDesk:
1. The fraudster may pose as a bank representative and give a call.
2. The fraudster will convince the person to download AnyDesk app.
3. To avoid suspicions, the fraudster will verify some details of the person such as name, mobile number and date of birth.
4. Now, the fraudster will try to use fear tactics to convince the person. For instance, the fraudster may warn the person that their card would be blocked in case the instructions are not followed.
5. Once the user downloads the AnyDesk app, the app would ask for privacy permissions just like any other app.
6. Later, the app gains control of the device without the knowledge of the user.
7. The fraudster will now ask for a 9-digit verification code generated on the victim’s smartphone.
The smartphone users are advised not to share any app generated code to anyone over the phone.