Oscars postponed by at least two months amid coronavirus pandemic
New Delhi : The 93rd Oscars has been postponed by eight weeks to April amid coronavirus pandemic that forced suspension of release of movies across the world, the Academy said Monday.
With many studio blockbusters and indie arthouse movies forced to push back their release dates until theaters reopen, the cut-off date for Oscar-eligible films has also been extended from December 31, 2020 to February 28, 2021.
“Our hope, in extending the eligibility period and our Awards date, is to provide the flexibility filmmakers need to finish and release their films without being penalized for something beyond anyone’s control,” said Academy president David Rubin and CEO Dawn Hudson in a statement.
The world had been under the pandemic grip since January and still fighting hard to revive normalcy amid continuously rising cases of coronavirus.
The United States leads the chart with over 2 million cases.