87 fully vaccinated, 3 with even booster in India's Omicron cases

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Reddit
  • Flipboard
  • Email
  • WhatsApp
87 fully vaccinated, 3 with even booster in India's Omicron cases (Image: Pixabay)
87 fully vaccinated, 3 with even booster in India's Omicron cases (Image: Pixabay)

New Delhi : With increasing number of Omicron variant cases in India, the Centre on Friday revealed that India's maximum Omicron patients have received two doses of vaccination. 3 Omicron patients have even received the booster shots abroad. A total of 187 cases have been analyzed by the health ministry.

Check out the findings and their implications

1. Out of 183 cases, 121 are foreign returnees and 44 did not have any travel history to the abroad. The details of 18 were not known, the health ministry said. The data reveals that a considerable number of people have got Omicron without even travelling abroad; apparantly via coming in contact with the patients with foreign travel history.

2. Majority of the cases analysed is male. Out of 183 cases, 61% is male while 39% is female.

3. Out of the analysed samples, two were partially vaccinated, seven were unvaccinated while 87 were fully vaccinated. Health ministry data reveals that three even received booster shots. While this raises the point several scientists have been claiming about Omicron's immunoevasive properties, it also shows that people with booster doses are also getting infected by the variant.

4. In the analyzed cases, 30% were symptomatic and the rest 70% were symptomatic.

ICMR Director-General Dr Balram Bhargava said, "The predominant strain in India continues to be Delta, including the recently identified clusters. Therefore, we need to continue with the same strategy of following Covid-appropriate behaviour and ramping up vaccination."

Infection due to Omicron variant "does not necessarily lead to severe symptomatic clinical disease". In India, about a third of all the detected cases were mildly symptomatic and the rest were asymptomatic, Dr Bhargava said.

On Friday, Maharashtra became the first state to have crossed the 100 Omicron cases as the state reported 20 new Omicron infections, taking the state's Omicron tally to 108, the highest in the country, as on Friday evening.