Gangster Vikas Dubey Encounter: All that we know so far
New Delhi : Gangster Vikas Dubey has been killed in an encounter on Friday, one day after he was arrested in Ujjain's Mahakal temple. According to inputs received it has been learned that he tried to flee from a police arrest and cross fired when the cops tried to make him surrender.
The Special Task Force (STF) convoy met with an accident on their way back to Kanpur from Madhya Pradesh. Vikas Dubey's vehicle overturned with two police officials getting injured in the incident. He then snatched gun from the injured policemen and tried to make an escape from the site.
Here are updates which we know so far in the encounter:
* The incident took place around 7 am today near Barra area in Kanpur.
* According to reports, as the convoy reached Barra police circle in Kanpur, the vehicle in which Vikas was seated, overturned after skidding on the road due to heavy rains.
* Dubey, along with an STF sub-inspector and two constables reportedly got injured in the mishap.
* As soon as Dubey was taken out of the vehicle, he snatched a rifle from the STF team and tried to fire at the police. He was injured in the retaliatory firing, said JN Singh, ADG Kanpur range.
* Dubey was rushed to the Hallett Hospital for treatment. Dubey was declared dead in the hospital, said Singh.
* STF officials admitted to the accident but initially had refused to say the extent of injuries suffered by the gangster.
* Dubey was nabbed from famous Mahakal temple in Ujjain on Thursday morning after being identified by a shopkeeper outside the temple.
* The fugitive gangster from Bikru village, Chaubeypur in Kanpur had been on the run after gunning down eight UP policemen in an encounter a week ago.