ISJK chief including 4 terrorists killed in encounter: Jammu and Kashmir
New Delhi : Breaking news for Jammu and Kashmir read out that four terrorists, including the head of the Islamic State Jammu and Kashmir or ISJK, a local terror group affiliated to the global terror group ISIS, were killed in an encounter with security forces in south Kashmir's Anantnag district today. The gun battle since the ceasefire was called off in the Valley on Sunday has also snatched the lives of a policeman and a civilian.
In February, after a policeman was killed, the state police Chief SP Vaid had mentioned that the global terror group has a strong presence in the Valley. Though the presence was not "substantial", it was "indeed a worrying sign, because ISIS foothold in Kashmir will have a different meaning," the state police chief had told NDTV.
Initial reports indicated that the terrorists took shelter inside a house in the south Kashmir district. The owner of the house died in the crossfire and his wife was seriously injured. Meanwhile, Internet services have been suspended in Srinagar and Anantnag, reported news agency ANI.
The encounter started this morning after security officers received intelligence input about the presence of terrorists, a police officer said to PTI news agency. The search operation turned into a gun firing, after the terrorists opened fire on the security forces, who hit back.
The cordon and search operations against terrorists, which had been suspended by the Centre for a month during Ramdan, resumed soon after Eid.
Two days later, the government of Mehbooba Mufti collapsed as the BJP pulled out of the association. Under the Governor's Rule, the centre planed to crack down on terrorists who had expanded their operations during the ceasefire. Over the last one month, the number of terror attacks had more than doubled over the last month. On Tuesday, three Jaish-e-Mohammad terrorists were killed in Pulwama's Tral after a search operation was launched by the security forces, police said.
Home Minister Rajnath Singh, on Sunday, said the ceasefire announced by the government during Ramzan will not be extended. He said that the security forces were directed to start anti-terror operations.
"It was expected that everyone will cooperate in ensuring the success of this initiative. While the Security Forces have displayed exemplary restraint during this period, the terrorists have continued with their attacks, on civilians and SFs, resulting in deaths and injuries," he had said.