Pradyuman case: 'Ashok was beaten up, tortured by police for confession'

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Reddit
  • Flipboard
  • Email
  • WhatsApp
File photo
File photo

New Delhi : Bus conductor Ashok, first accused in the gruesome murder case of Class II student Pradyuman Thakur, was allegedly beaten up, hung upside down, tortured and sedated, to coerce a confession, his family has claimed. 

The 42-year-old conductor was released on bail on Wednesday after 76 days of detention. According to media reports, Ashok was unable to speak due to immense pain, but he managed to thank God for delivering justice. 

His wife, Mamta, told media that they knew that Ashok was being framed from the start. "We knew from the beginning that he wasn't involved in the murder. The Gurgaon Police did not carry out a proper investigation. We have faith in the judiciary," she told India Today. 

Speaking to ANI, Ashok's sister-in-law said, "The police asked Ashok to say, he committed the crime and he won't be in trouble because of that. They told him that the whole nation is distressed due to the case and so he must confess. The police told him it's a small case and they will cover it accordingly."

The conductor was released after the CBI, which took over the case on plea of Pradyuman's father, arrested a Class IX student of the same school. The studnet allegedly killed Pradyuman in a bid to postpone Parents Teachers meet and a unit test. 

With Ashok's release, there were reports which claimed that the bus conductor, in all likelihood, might file a defamation case against the police officers who tried to 'frame' him.

The CBI was asked to submit the status report in the court after arguments by all parties on 20 November, and the judge had reserved the decision for Tuesday.

"There was no proof against Ashok and the court granted bail under Article 21 that ensures right to life and liberty to every citizen. There was major conflict between theories of the CBI and the Haryana Police and he was granted bail on the ground of benefit of doubt," said Verma, adding the decision proved that police probe was shielding the real culprit and Kumar was implicated in the crime.