Republic Day 2020 Parade: List of firsts marking the celebrations
New Delhi : On Sunday, India celebrated its 71st Republic Day on Sunday, marking it with grand celebrations in the national capital and all across the nation.
This time there were several firsts that graced the celebrations at Rajpath Marg in New Delhi.
From a contingent of women bikers of CRPF performing daredevil stunts at the Republic Day parade to Prime Minister Narendra Modi paying tribute to the soldiers at National War Memorial, here are the many firsts of this 71st Republic day:
1. First time ever, Prime Minister Narendra Modi paid rich tributes to the brave-hearts by laying a wreath at the National War Memorial instead of the Amar Jawan Jyoti at the India Gate.
2. This happens to be the first Republic Day celebration of the new decade 2020.
3. For the first time, a contingent of women bikers of CRPF performed daredevil stunts. The contingent was led by Inspector Seema Nag.
4. Marching for the first time in the Republic Day parade will be the contingent of the Corps of Army Air Defence. It will be followed by the Combined Band of Bengal Engineers Group and Centre, Brigade of Guards Training Centre, 3 Electronics and Mechanical Engineers Centre and Madras Regimental Centre.
5. Anti-Satellite Weapons (ASAT) from Mission Shakti, the Dhanush artillery, the newly-inducted Chinook heavy lift and Apache attack choppers were displayed for the first time during the parade at the majestic Rajpath.
6. It is for the first time that a "Tri-service formation" took part in the Republic Day parade. It was followed by the ‘Vic’ formation of Chinook helicopters, used for airlifting diverse loads to remote locations.
7. For the first time in history Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Bipin Rawat attended the Republic Day parade and welcomed the prime minister along with the three defence chiefs.