Babri verdict on Sept 30, LK Advani, other accused told to be present
New Delhi : The judgment in the 28-year-old case involving the demolition of the Babri Masjid will be delivered on September 30 by a special court.
Among the list of 32 accused asked to be present in court are BJP veterans LK Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi. Senior party leader Uma Bharti and former Rajasthan Governor Kalyan Singh are on the list as well.
LK Advani, Manohar Joshi and Uma Bharati, the key leaders of the BJP at the time, are accused of conspiracy that led to the demolition of the 15th Century mosque in December 1992. It was said that the mosque was built after pulling down an ancient temple that marked the birthplace of Lord Ram and in November last year, the Supreme Court delivered a landmark verdict in the title suit of the Ram Janambhoomi case, ordering the construction of a temple at the site.
92-year-old LK Advani, had recorded his statement in the case before the special CBI court through video conference on July 24. Manohar Joshi, 86, recorded his statement a day before LK Advani. Both have denied all charges against them.
Kalyan Singh, a senior BJP leader, was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh at the time of the mosque demolition. His government was dismissed as riots broke out across the country in which around 3,000 people died.
In April 2017, the top court had asked the special court to conduct day-to-day hearings and complete the trial within two years. It was given several extensions thereafter and when the special judge SK Yadav asked for more time, the court extended the deadline to September 30.