PM Modi's 'note ban', Kiren Rijiju's scam rock Parliament; Lok Sabha adjourned till noon
Los Angeles : Pandemonium, war of words and backlash is expected in Parliament today with Prime Minister Narendra Modi attending the winter session amid demonetisation drama.
In fact, the PM is expected to attend the last 3 days of the winter session setting tones of BJP’s floor strategies during the course of events.
Notably, ahead of the Parliament session, two separate meetings were held during long weekend- one of Modi with top minister while the other was of a united opposition putting its head together to decide on how to take on the government during the last days of session.
Expecting dilemma and drama, both BJP and Congress have asked their lawmakers to attend parliament in full strength.
After the session started, opposition started demanding the resignation of Union Minister Kiren Rijiju, who is accused of facilitating a 450-crore scam in a big hydro-electric project in his home state Arunachal Pradesh. Following uproar the Lok Sabha was adjourned till noon.
What to expect?
- The stalemate between government and opposition over notes ban is expected to continue. An offer from the Congress to discuss demonetisation under "no rule" was not received well by the ruling BJP last week.
- Prime Minister to attend the session amidst hue and crry over demonetization scheme.
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi is also expected to speak if a debate takes place in the first place.
- The issue of AgustaWestland helicopter deal after the arrest of former Air Chief SP Tyagi on Friday is also likely to surface in Parliament.
- The opposition may demand the resignation of Union Minister Kiren Rijiju, who is accused of facilitating a 450-crore scam in a big hydro-electric project in his home state Arunachal Pradesh.
Delhi: PM Narendra Modi present in Lok Sabha pic.twitter.com/xtXyBu2O0A— ANI (@ANI_news) December 14, 2016
Lok Sabha adjourned till 12 PM— ANI (@ANI_news) December 14, 2016
I’ve come here to speak; let’s see if the government allows me to do so or not: Congress VP Rahul Gandhi pic.twitter.com/7OGr5psJR2— ANI (@ANI_news) December 14, 2016
#Demonetisation has become a total fiasco and has only given sufferings to people. No money in banks: A. K. Antony pic.twitter.com/ALhe1wy2hi— ANI (@ANI_news) December 14, 2016