Buildings' collapse: Death toll 9, search underway (Lead)
Greater Noida : The death toll in the collapse of two buildings in Greater Noida in Uttar Pradesh climbed to nine on Thursday as five more bodies were removed from under the debris. Authorities continued with the search for any survivor/body.
An official said that chances of survival of those trapped were bleak since it had been over 40 hours since the buildings collapsed in Shahberi village on Tuesday night.
"We don't have any more information on the missing. So, the chances of finding more bodies trapped under the debris is less. However, as the number of those trapped is not known, it will be too soon to confirm," Deputy Inspector General (Operations) R.K. Rana told IANS.
"Nine bodies have been found so far. The work to remove the debris is underway and it will take time due to space crunch," he said.
On Wednesday, four bodies were pulled out whereas five more were taken out on Thursday morning from the rubble.
Six of the deceased were identified as Priyanka Trivedi, 26, Shiv Trivedi, 28, 14-month-old Pankhuri and Raj Kumari, 50, from Mainpuri; Shamshad, 25, from Faizabad and Ranjeet Bhimali, 30, from West Bengal.
Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has announced an ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh each to the bereaved families.
The District Magistrate of Gautam Budh Nagar (Noida) has ordered a magisterial probe.
Cases have been filed against two dozen persons. Four accused, including builder Ganga Sharan Dwivedi, and brokers Dinesh and Sanjeev have been arrested.