How to revamp interior with rugs
New Delhi : If youre designing your room from scratch, choose the rug first as these decors are the cornerstone for any setups foundation.
Kavita Chaudhary, Head of Design at Jaipur Rugs Company, lists some more options on revamping your interiors with rugs:
* By popular belief, rugs are meant to be used on the floor under your furniture, but the new trend is to use them as wall art, especially semi-geometric patterns.
* Build the colour scheme of the room around the rug, pulling shades from the rug as colours for curtains, cushions and lamp shades.
* Don't be afraid to play around with different rug textures. When your walls and upholstery are fairly subdued, you can try a rug with embossed (high-low) effect, adding more depth and interest to the room.
Astha Khetan, Founder and Director of the House of Things.com, too have some inputs to share.
* A rug is one of the best finishing touches you can invest in for your interiors. The right one has the power to really bring a room together, add colour and comfort, define a space… transform it, even.
* Rugs have long been a signifier of luxury, offering warmth and underfoot comfort as well as texture and pattern. A well-placed rug can be used to divide spaces, define a mood, or simply showcase the art of tapestry across your floors. Here are some ways you can overhaul your interiors using this statement accessory.
* Layer a contrasting rug over an existing carpet to infuse texture and warmth. A smaller rug over a bigger one or a printed rug over a solid-coloured one would be ideal. But be wary of layering too many "warring" patterns in a room; the key is to complement the palette of the room.
* Use a rug as a focal point in a room. Pick a colour from the rug and reflect it throughout - in furnishings, art, or décor objects. It's easier to nip choices in a room to complement the rug, rather than the other way around.
* Use a patterned or animal skin rug as a wall hanging for a ski-lodge effect. Or drape over a plush sofa for a luxe yet romantic feel.
* Opt for a large rug with a soft feel underfoot to place under your bed to completely change the look of your bedroom spaces.
* Rugs aren't just for winter. Opt for a summer-appropriate soft update in calming hues, geometric pattern, or lighter texture to make your scheme work for the current season and beyond.
* In larger rooms, use an understated design with a border to ground the space together.
* Let the way you arrange your furniture dictate the shape of your rug - the assumption that a rug has to be a rectangle may keep you from experimenting with a wide array of choices available.