Stunned Spaniards gasp at World Cup exit
- Grim-looking Spaniards clutching beers in Madrid bars grasped for explanations as their heroes crashed out of the World Cup in the group stages, beaten 2-0 by Chile
- "What do I think? Sadness. And I think they didn't play at all. I think they were tired," said Joaquin Lamas
- "It is a surprise. I was not expecting it. I thought we would get to the final. I was hoping to celebrate today," he said as half a dozen customers nursed drinks and glared glumly at a television in the city centre's Taberna del Gijon bar.
- "From the fifth minute I knew Spain was not going to do anything," he complained. "Bad, bad, very bad. I am too sad to say anything good."
- Spain's sporting press reflected the mood.