China's Tennis player Peng Shuai safe, says IOC after second video call
Beijing : The International Olympic Committee has said that they had second video conference call with China’s tennis player Peng Shuai, who had earlier accused former communist party leader of sexual assault.
The IOC said that the second call had confirmed that Peng "appeared to be safe and well, given the difficult situation she is in".
IOC President Thomas Bach had to face criticism over his failure to demand Peng's safety during November 21 video call.
The Olympic body defended its approach again on Thursday, saying: "We are using 'quiet diplomacy' which, given the circumstances and based on the experience of governments and other organisations, is indicated to be the most promising way to proceed effectively in such humanitarian matters."
Peng Shuai had been missing from public events soon after she made the sexual assault claims against the leader.
The sports fraternity had joined hand asking about the whereabouts of the player.