18-year-old girl killed as Nokia 5233 Phone blast in Odisha
Odisha : An 18-year-old Indian teen died after her mobile phone exploded while she was charging and talking on it. Sources confirmed that the burnt phone recovered from the accident spot bears the name Nokia and it is identified as Nokia 5233.
Similar case of mobile phone explosion has been reported many times. It is likely that even big brands like Samsung find difficult to provide cell phones with complete safety. A number of incidents have been filed about iPhones, Xiaomi and Huawei smartphones exploding while using it. And, the latest one is Nokia handset which caused death to an 18-year-old teen.
The mobile blast victim Uma Oram is from the village Kheriakani in the eastern Indian state of Odisha. As per report, her phone exploded while she was talking on it. The phone explosion has left terminal injuries on the teen's hand, chest, and leg. She was declared dead shortly after arriving at the hospital.
Oram's brother, Durga Prasad Oram told, "As the battery of the mobile phone was draining out, she plugged it for charging while talking over it simultaneously”. The cell phone... was put on charging when she started talking to a relative. Before we could know what exactly happened, Uma fell unconscious. She was declared dead at the hospital."
The exploded phone recovered bears the brand name Nokia on it and it is recognized as Nokia model 5233. However, it is not clear as what triggered the explosion. Even cell phone manufacturing companies also warn not to talk over phone while it is in charging mode.
In most cases, it is seen that mobile phone explosions are often caused by counterfeit accessories, such as the battery or the charger. But, in this case, it is not clear whether the Nokia 5233's battery was replaced or if the charger used was not a quality one.
The incident was shocking news for Finnish multinational telecommunication company. While sharing deep grief about the incident, the Finnish phone brand's licensee HMD Global said "While we have not been able to independently verify the facts of any of these reports, we can confirm that the mobile phone in question was not manufactured or sold by HMD Global, the new home of Nokia phones, set up in 2017 to create a new range of Nokia devices. As HMD Global, we are committed to producing high-quality handsets which deliver a strong user experience and meet high customer expectations,"
Another mobile phone blast was reported on 2017 when the one of the fastest growing smartphone Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 had exploded. In this case, the smartphone wasn't in the charging mode, instead, a shopkeeper just inserted the SIM card in the phone to check, when suddenly the handset burst into flames.
While such cases are increasing with time, branded cell phone companies are also facing major loss in terms of brand and finance. Recently, Samsung suffered huge loss when its Galaxy Note 7 was declared unsafe due to imperfect batteries.