Data Privacy Day: Things to remember which using latest technologies
New Delhi : A day in modern times is hard to believe without the use of technology and to make people aware about the misuse of personal information, the council of Europe in 2007 decided to celebrate January 28 as the Data Privacy Day aka Data Protection Day.
Since then, the day is an international effort to create awareness about the importance of respecting privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust.
On this day, governments and national data protection bodies carry out activities to raise awareness about the rights to personal data protection and privacy.
Here are some tips on how to keep your personal information safe:
1. Always use the latest softwares on your laptops, tablets and smartphones as they are more secure.
2. Keep your applications updated to ensure security fixes.
3. Encrypt and protect your personal data with the help of an anti-virus.
4. Use a password manager to keep control of all your passwords so you don’t use the same password twice. Also keep longer passwords as they are not easy to break
5. Do not keep location tracking enabled all the time.
6. Avoid sharing personal information on the social media.
7. Be careful about reading and acting on email and text messages, they might contain virus
8. Never use unsecured WiFi, especially for banking or shopping.
9. On any new device, set your privacy settings immediately.
10. Make sure to check your bank and credit card statements regularly and contact your bank immediately in case you come across something suspicious
11. Never give personal information over the phone, email, or text.
12. Don’t get lured by online quizzes that ask random questions about your childhood, marriages, pets, and favorite foods.