Afghanistan: 16 dead in Kabul attack, 24 in funeral bombing; India calls it barbaric attack
Kabul : India on Tuesday condemned the separate attacks on Afghanistan, targeting a maternity hospital, a funeral and a military check post. The nation called it a 'barbaric attack' in which innocent women and children have also lost their lives.
Militants attacked a maternity hospital in Kabul on Tuesday, killing 16 people, including two newborn babies and their mothers. In a separate attack, a suicide bomber targeted a funeral ceremony in Nangahar province, a hotbed of the Islamic State group, killing at least 24 people and injuring 68.
“India strongly condemns the barbaric terrorist attacks against innocent civilians, including women and children, at the Dasht-e-Barchi hospital maternity ward, funeral in Nangarhar province and the Army check post in Laghman province,” the MEA said.
“We extend our sincerest condolences to the families of the deceased and wish speedy recovery to those injured,” the MEA said.
So far none of the terror outfit has claimed the responsibility of the attack. Taliban, however, has denied its involvement in the attack.
The Interior Ministry spokesman, Tareq Arian, said over 100 women and babies were evacuated from the building before it was over.
Arian said 15 others, including women, men and children were wounded in the attack. Three foreign nationals were among those safely evacuated, he said, without elaborating.