China reports zero domestic coronavirus case for first time since outbreak
Beijing : China on Thursday reported zero fresh domestic coronavirus case for the first time since the outbreak in December last year.
More than 2 lakh people have been tested positive to the coronavirus with over 9000 people losing their lives to it.
Officials on Thursday said that 34 new cases which have been reported are of the people who had returned to the nation from another country.
Their nationalities have not been revealed by the traveling authorities.
At least eight persons died of the disease on Wednesday, health officials said, adding that all the deaths were in the worst-hit central Chinese province of Hubei.
“No new infections of the novel coronavirus were reported on Wednesday in Wuhan, the epicentre of the epidemic, marking a notable first in the city’s months-long battle with the microscopic foe,” the official news agency, Xinhua said in a report on Thursday morning.
“With no new cases in Wuhan, the Chinese mainland on Wednesday reduced the increase in domestic transmissions to zero. The country now faces a greater threat of infections imported from overseas, which jumped by 34 on Wednesday,” the report said.
As on March 18 midnight, a total of 189 overseas confirmed cases were reported.
Wuhan had reported its first case of coronavirus in December last year.