Pakistan claims JeM not behind Pulwama attack, challenges India to prove it
New Delhi : A day after Pakistan admitted to Masood Azhar's existence in the nation, the Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi claims that they have contacted JeM and the terror outfit is not behind the Pulwama attack.
When asked about JeM claiming the Pulwama attack, Qureshi told the BBC in an interview on Friday, 1 March: “We are not sure of that.”
“The confusion is that the leadership, when contacted, they said no. (The leadership has been contacted) by people over here. They deny that… they claimed no responsibility… there’s confusion. There are conflicting reports on it.”
He also asserted that Pakistan's policy is very clear in which they do not allow any terror outfit use their land for spreading terrorism.
While attempting to avoid direct references to JeM Chief Masood Azhar, Qureshi called for India to share evidence with Pakistan. “Then, we can articulate the case in court, and we can justify action against that individual or that organisation to the people of Pakistan,” he added, as he reiterated that his country wants a de-escalation of tensions.
“We are studying the dossier (given by India on Pulwama attack). If India wants to initiate a dialogue based on this dossier, we are willing to engage with them.”
He also questioned the air strikes across the LoC by the Indian Air Force on 26 February.
“India claimed they hit 3 terror camps. Where are they? They claimed that they killed 350 terrorists. Where are the bodies,” the Pakistan minister asked.
On Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Qureshi said that India has taken an “extreme position.”
“The pendulum has gone so far, coming back would be challenging for him (PM Modi),” Qureshi added.