PM Narendra Modi, Donald Trump discusses India-China stand-off
New Delhi : In a 25-minute long phone call with the US President Donald Trump, a border tension between India and China and protests against the death of George Floyd were the prime topics, said the government.
The officials did not mention about what exactly the two leaders discussed over the phone.
Last week, Donald Trump had offered to mediate between India and China. While China had rejected the offer saying both the nations are capable enough to discuss the matter, India had claimed of no interaction with US authorities on the matter.
The US on Monday had said it was "extremely concerned" by the Chinese aggression against India along the Line of Actual Control. "I strongly urge China to respect norms and use diplomacy and existing mechanisms to resolve its border questions with India," said Elliot Engel, chief of the US House of Representatives Foreign Affairs Committee.
India has claimed that Chinese military is hindering normal patrolling by its troops along with the Line of Actual Control or LAC in Ladakh and Sikkim, and strongly refuted Beijing's contention that the escalating tension between the two armies was triggered by trespassing of Indian forces across the Chinese side.
Donald Trump also invited PM Narendra Modi to the G7 summit, the statement said. "President Trump… conveyed his desire to expand the ambit of the grouping beyond the existing membership, to include other important countries including India," the government said.
"Prime Minister Modi expressed concern regarding the ongoing civil disturbances in the US, and conveyed his best wishes for an early resolution of the situation," the statement said.