"We only reported COVID-19 first": China's new claim over coronavirus
New Delhi : Amid allegations from several countries that China landed the world in trouble with coronavirus pandemic, the country has issued a new statement in which it has claimed that the virus broke out globally, they were just the first nation to report it.
China not only rejected the US claim that the virus was made in a Wuhan lab, it also denied that the virus spread via a wet market in their country.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying told a media briefing that "the coronavirus is a new kind of virus as more and more facts emerge as reports reveal, we all know that the epidemic broke out in various places in the world at the end of last year, while China was the first to report the outbreak, identified the pathogen and shared the genome sequence with the world."
His response came against the statement by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who alleged China of covering up the matter. China's cover up on coronavirus has made the situation worse, said Mike Pompeo in Tokyo at the QUAD ministerial meeting of the US, India, Australia and Japan on Tuesday.
The Chinese Foreign Ministry statement was made as the World Health Organisation (WHO) was gearing up to probe the origin of the deadly coronavirus.
According to the official data available, more than 36 million people have been infected by the virus and more than 1 million people have lost their lives to it.
The US is the worst affected country with over 7.6 million cases and more than 2,12,000 deaths.
China has reported 90,736 cases and 4,739 deaths due to COVID-19.