Happy Birthday Kishore da: Five lesser known facts about the ‘Yodelling King’
New Delhi : Kishore Kumar aka Kishore Da, who has been crowned as the yodelling king for his unique singing style and soulful voice. In his four decades long career, he has given us several beautiful songs that has struck the chords of millions of hearts.
Not many know that Kishore da picked up yodelling skills from American singer Jimmie Rodgers and Tex Morton to make his unique style.
Kishore da had become the voice of Dev Anand, Rajesh Khanna and many other stars over the years. On his 91st birth anniversary, we bring you some interesting lesser known facts about the versatile singer.
1. Kishore Kumar, who was born as Abhas Kumar Ganguly, he started his career in the film industry as a chorus singer at Bombay Talkies. He sang his first song ‘Marane Ki Duaaen Kyon Maangun’ in 1948 release ‘Ziddi’.
2. Kishore da sang both the male and female parts for the song ‘Aake Seedhi Lage Dil Pe’ from the movie Half Ticket.
3. The popular song ‘Panch Rupaiya Barah Aana’ was inspired by his own debt of Rs 5.75 which Kishore owed to this college canteen in Indore, Madhya Pradesh.
4. Kishore Kumar had placed a sign board outside his flat which read, “Beware of Kishore”.
5. Kishore Kumar sang in many Indian languages including Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Oriya, Kannada, Malayalam and Assamese. He had sang around 240 songs for Rajesh Khanna.
Actor Ayushmann Khurrana also paid a musical tribute to Kishore Kumar. He posted a throwback BTS video from ‘Aadhadhun’ shoot where he sings an old Kishore classic.
Sharing the post on social media he wrote, “Happy birthday Kishore da! #KishoreKumar This video was shot in July 2018, Krakow, Poland. We were shooting the climax of Andhadhun and @akshayvarma04 and I jammed in between shots, as usual.”