Uri attack: Opposition lashes at Narendra Modi government for security lapse
New Delhi : The Narendra Modi government drew flank from the oppositions for the one of the deadliest terrorist attacks on security forces on an army camp in Uri in Jammu and Kashmir and credited the assault to lapses in the security system at the border.
Former Defence Minister and congress leader, AK Antony said the attack that left 17 soldiers dead was a serious security lapse. He told media that the Kashmir issue is taking a dangerous turn.
"Uri attack is similar to Pathankot one as at both places, militants managed to enter military camps and this is a huge security lapse," Antony further added.
Former Home Minister P Chidambaram took to twitter to share, "Government must mobilise all resources, manpower and material, to strengthen border defence to prevent infiltration of terrorists."
However Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad launched a scathing attack on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and said, "Soldiers are dying due to the failure and negligence of Modi; where is his 56-inch chest now."
# Heavily armed militants attacked headquarter of the 12th Brigade at Uri in Baramulla District at around 4:00am.
# All four militants who attacked Army base in Uri have been killed by the Army.
# 17 soldiers were martyred and at least 19 were injured in the deadly attack.
# Army chief General Dalbir Singh Suhag and Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar will visit Uri to meet injured soldiers.
# Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh postponed his Russia and US visit to monitor the situation.
# A similar attack was held on December 5, 2014. 10 jawans had lost their lives in that.
# Recently, seven military personnel had been killed in the Pathankot terror attack in January 2016.