Things you should never eat in restaurant
New Delhi : Well, most of us love to visit a restaurant and tickle our taste-buds with our favorite delicacies. But, how fresh are the items in the eating place? Say, the bottle of ketchup, or the bread in the basket or the table salt; are they fresh enough to be served in the plate. From overpriced to dirty, there are certain items we should avoid to eat. Our staff had words with food safety experts, dieticians, and chefs and came up with a list of things we need to avoid on your next meal out.
- Raw sprout salad
Raw sprouts are often added to salads and sandwiches for extra crunch. But this crunch can come at a cost. In humid temperature, sprouts are perfect breeding ground for Salmonella, Listeria, and E.coli which results in foodborne illness.
- Tap Water
Never ever depend on tap waters to satiate your thirst. The kind of water contain trace amounts of harmful contaminants, including lead, chlorine, mercury, and herbicides. It is advisable to stick on bottled stuff despite of price tag.
- Buffet Food
Experts say that foods served in buffets are at risk for contamination from other customers and restaurant employees. Also, be sure to also avoid dishes that use serving spoons from other dishes to keep cross-contaminating bacteria at bay.
- Fresh-Squeezed Juices
Avoid fresh-squeezed juices as they often team up with bacteria, unlike pasteurized juices.
- Raw Flour Products
Some pizza stores give kids raw pizza dough to play with and use to prepare their own mini pies. Experts warn against this practice, noting that raw flour products were connected to an outbreak of E.coli. Moreover, the eggs in the raw dough may contain Salmonella, which can make you sick if they’re lightly cooked. Be sure that any foods that involve using dough, eggs, and batter are handled with care and fully cooked.
Be sure to skip bread basket when you’re dining out. Bread basket tends to circulate from table to table, enough to carry bacteria and virus. Many hands have passed over the basket which may have been sitting out for days by the time you eat it.
- Ketchup bottle
The restaurant staffs often spend hours at the end of long shifts with partially empty bottles. And, there is no way to tell how long the stuff at the bottom has been there, leading to sour and sometime poisonous.
- Unpasteurized Cheeses
Certain soft cheese products in restaurants aren’t pasteurized. They run a high risk for Listeria, affecting 160 times more than pasteurized cheeses.
- Special soup
A special soup of the restaurant is a way to scrap leftovers as a new and fresh dish today.