An Interview with Instagram Sensation Shubhra Paul (#gastronomicjournal)
New Delhi : 1. Can you tell us a little about yourself?
My interests expand to photography, food culture and lifestyle. I enjoy challenging myself to create something beautiful, creative and unique and hope to inspire people with my work.
2. What is the story behind the name ‘gastronomicjournal’?
I am a food enthusiast but have a weakness for well prepared and presented dishes. I wanted to study gastronomy and explore my curiosity around food. The journal part is my willingness to share my experiences and hear peoples' recommendations.
3. Can you give me some information about yourself and your path to becoming a content creator?
I used to be overweight due to my uncontrollable behaviour towards tempting food. Gradually managed to balance a healthy diet. All this while taking pictures of food and travelling to new places to explore food. One day, I decided to post all my content online and start a social media journal which depicted my food choices and the places I explored. With time I started connecting with the audience and that’s how I became a food blogger.
4. What is your favourite Middle-eastern dish?
Hummus, Shish Taouk, Knafeh, Dolma, Djaj Bil Bahar but my go to is Shawarma with Tahini.
5. What would be your dream destination regarding food?
In recent times Pan-Asian food like Japanese, Vietnamese and especially Korea for their hot pots, has caught my fancy.
6. What are your favourite shows on food?
Migrationology, MasterChef Australia, Best Ever Food Review Show, Heston Blumenthal’s Fantastical Food, Anthony Bourdain’s shows and Uncle Roger’s Reviews.
7. What is a good cuisine movie?
I like Burnt and Chef among others.
8. What is your take on organic food? Is it a big deal for you?
My husband, Pranav, is into healthy alternatives. So wherever possible we substitute with organic and sustainable food like jaggery, almond or skimmed milk, millet flour, whole wheat bread etc.
9. How would you describe your page to new readers?
It's a virtual journal with all the delicacies they could try out there. A digital magazine or image gallery of food sprinkled with some travel and lifestyle.
10. If you could have any four people over for dinner, who would they be?
Marco Pierre, Heston Blumenthal, my Mumma, my husband and my dogs because they love everything I make.
11. How do you drink your coffee?
Black with tonic water/ginger ale or a cold brew. Only when I’m lazy do I have instant coffee like Nescafe or TGL.
12. What’s on your pizza?
Pepperoni and cheese. I don’t enjoy Domino’s or Pizza Hut anymore. I enjoy homemade pizza or thin crust authentic pizzas. Occasionally Eva’s or Joey’s Pizza in Mumbai.
13. Do you earn enough to make this a career? How should newcomers manage?
There are many streams of earning in this field. But there are ups and downs so how you invest and save will help you out. Fortunately, my husband is my investment advisor and portfolio manager.
14. What photography gear and editing software do you use?
Primarily, I use an iPhone 12 Pro Max because of the great camera and in-built editing software. Before that, I had a Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus. My other equipment includes a Sony ZV-1 vlog camera and Digitek ring lights. My go to editing software are Inshot, Snapseed, Picsart, Lightroom and iMovie.
15. What has been your most successful post? Why do you think it was appealing?
This phulka video I took at a hotel in Nagpur is one of my most viral posts. I think it went viral because of its simplicity, relatability and that huge gas hob. It’s almost therapeutic and can be watched on loop. Check it out!