TikTok sues Donald Trump over threats to ban app in the US
Washington : TikTok on Monday sued the US President Donald Trump over threats to ban the application in the country, calling it a pretext to fuel anti-China rhetoric as he seeks reelection.
TikTok and its parent company Bytedance rejected claims made by White House that the app is a major national security threat; they claimed that the company has taken extraordinary steps to safeguard the user data of US people.
"We do not take suing the government lightly," TikTok said in a blog post. "But with the Executive Order threatening to bring a ban on our U.S. operations ... we simply have no choice."
TikTok and ByteDance are seeking a permanent injunction to block Trump from enforcing his August 6 order.
The lawsuit filed in Los Angeles federal court names Trump, the US Department of Commerce and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross as defendants.
On August 14, Donald Trump had issued a fresh order asking TikTok to divest their US operations and any data TikTok had gathered in the United States.
Reuters had reported last week that TikTok had been preparing a legal challenge.
TikTok said the Trump administration violated its constitutional right to due process by banning the company without notice.