Covid 19: US man consumes chloroquine phosphate drug to stop coronavirus, dies
Arizona : A man in Arizona lost his life after he consumed a drug thinking that will stop coronavirus from spreading. His wife is in critical condition, the couple had ingested chloroquine phosphate in an effort to avoid Covid-19.
President Donald Trump has touted the medication form of chloroquine as a possible treatment for the virus. But the toxic ingredient taken by the Phoenix couple was a chemical commonly used to clean fish tanks.
Shortly after eating it, the couple fell ill and was shifted to the hospital facility. The couple is above 60 years in age.
The woman told NBC News she had seen a televised briefing in which Mr Trump discussed the potential benefits of chloroquine as a treatment Covid-19.
The drug has been approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis but is unproven for use against the novel coronavirus.
"We saw his press conference. It was on a lot, actually," she said. "Trump kept saying it was basically pretty much a cure."
"We were afraid of getting sick," she told NBC.
In the US, the total number of coronavirus cases have reached around 50,000, with at least 592 deaths till the report.
The couple had used chloroquine previously as a treatment for their koi fish and still had some remaining in their home. This additive is formulated differently than the drug used to treat malaria.
They mixed a small amount of the substance with liquid to drink. Within 20 minutes, both fell ill.
"I started vomiting," she said. "My husband started developing respiratory problems."
Her husband could not be revived in hospital and she remains in critical care.
"Banner Health experts emphasise that chloroquine, a malaria medication, should not be ingested to treat or prevent [Covid-19]," the health group said in a statement.