India, US sign new 10-year defence framework pacts
New Delhi : India and on Wednesday night finalised a new strategically important 10-year defence framework pact envisaging joint development and manufacture of defence equipment and technology including jet engines, aircraft carrier design and construction.
- India and US signed fresh 10-year defence framework pacts
- It includes manufacturing of defence equipment and technology like jet engines, aircraft carrier design and construction.
- Two other project agreements for hi-tech mobile power source and next generation protective suits for chemical and biological warfare were signed by the nations.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and visiting US Defence Secretary Ashton Carter inked the framework agreement decided during Barack Obama’s January visit in India.
- Framework also recognises the transformative nature of the Defence Technology and Trade Initiative (DTTI).
- Carter also met with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and discussed ways to enhance strategic and defence interest.