5 Human food items that can be toxic for your dog

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Reddit
  • Flipboard
  • Email
  • WhatsApp
Pet Dog
Pet Dog

New Delhi : Parenting can be a rewarding experience, more so if you are a pet parent. Having a pet child is the best feeling in the world. Be it a cat or a dog, they all need immense love, attention and care, just like babies throughout their lives. As a pet parent, it is our responsibility to take care of our pet child and ensure that they are healthy and happy. This is why every pet parent takes immense care of their pet child's diet but we all have those days when we just can't seem to resist those supercute puppy eyes and end up sharing our human food with our dogs. While this may make your dog happy but at the same time, this isn't a very good practice for your dog's health. Certain human food items and beverages can be harmful to your pet child's health and might even turn out to be toxic. This is why it is important to know which food items can be dangerous for your dog child and never give it to them no matter how much emotional blackmail they may engage in.

1. Fruits like avocados and grapes are harmful to your dog. Avocados have persin which is poisonous for your dog and grapes and raisins contain certain toxic compounds which can take a toll on your dog's health and cause kidney failure. It can also cause death.

2. Sweets, gum, candy and toothpaste contains a compound known as xylitol which is a sort of sugar alcohol which can be very dangerous for your dog's health. It can cause liver damage and sometimes even blood sugar problems and can also lead to death or even coma.

3. Caffeine might be safe for human consumption but it's can speed up your pet child's heart rate and damage their nervous system as well. It can also cause lung damage or failure and lead to death in dogs.

4. While it's common for people to share their drinks with their dog but it is not a very healthy habit. Alcohol is toxic for your dog's health and acts like a poison. It can cause seizures, coma and other health problems. Dogs are prone to alcohol poisoning and can die due to it.

5. Salt poisoning is a common problem in dogs. Consuming salt can make them thirsty and reduce their body's water levels and cause salt poisoning. This is why it is important to ensure that your dog does not consume salt in any form which could be toxic for him.