Breast Cancer Awareness Month 2018: What is the signs and symptoms of breast cancer?
New Delhi : Breast cancer is the most common cancer in women. A study claims that one in eight women have chance of developing breast cancer over an 80-year lifespan. The study aslo say that the younger you are, the lower the risk.
Besides women, breast cancer can also be diagnosed in men. The American Cancer Society estimated that in 2015, more than 2,000 men would be diagnosed, and more than 400 men would die from the disease. In this article, we will talk about the types of breast cancer, their symptoms, cause and treatment.
Types of Breast Cancer
1) Ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS) where cells that line the ducts in your breast change and look cancerous
2) Lobular carcinoma in situ (LCIS) where cancer that grows in the milk-producing glands of your breast.
3) Invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) which is the most common type of breast cancer. This type of breast cancer begins in your breast’s milk ducts and then invades nearby tissue in the breast.
4) Invasive lobular carcinoma (ILC) which originates in your breast’s lobules.
Cause of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer is caused due to several reasons including family history. Some common cause of the disease is:
1. Increasing age
2. Drinking alcohol
3. Having dense breast tissue
5. BRCA1 and BRCA2 gene mutations
6. Menstruation before age 12
7. Giving birth at an older age
8. Taking postmenopausal estrogen and progesterone therapy
9. nherited risk
10. Late menopause start
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
Though early stage cannot be detected easily, in most case, tumor may be felt or certain abnormality can be seen on a mammogram. Each type of breast cancer can cause a variety of symptoms. The most common breast cancers symptoms include a breast lump or tissue thickening that feels different than surrounding tissue and has developed recently. Other symptoms of breast cancer are:
1. Breast pain
2. Red, pitted skin over your entire breast
3. Swelling in all or part of your breast
4. A nipple discharge other than breast milk
5. Bloody discharge from your nipple
6. Peeling, scaling, or flaking of skin on your nipple or breast
Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
Certain tests are conducted to diagnose breast cancer. Doctors may consider Mammogram imaging test to check tumor or suspicious spot. Breast ultrasound is used to get a picture of the tissues deep in your breast. An ultrasound can help your doctor distinguish between a solid mass, such as a tumor, and a benign cyst.
Breast biopsy may be done where doctors make an incision in your breast and then remove the sample to be tested on the laboratory
Treatment of breast cancer
The treatment of breast cancer is advised according to the varied condition. Breast cancer has five main stages: stages 0–5. Stage 4 breast cancer is also known as metastatic breast cancer in which cancer cell spread from your breast to other parts of your body, such as your bones, lungs, or liver.
To start, your doctor will determine your cancer’s size, stage, and grade and then treatment options. Surgery is the most common treatment for breast cancer. In addition to surgery, most women have a complementary treatment, such as chemotherapy, radiation, or hormone therapy.
Doctors also believe that the risk of breast cancer can be prevented by maintaining a healthy diet and getting more exercise could help you lose weight. If you drink alcohol, talk to your doctor about what amount they recommend for you.