Pregnancy: Here are some things you need to keep in mind before having a second child
New Delhi : Having a child is not easy. Parenting can be tough. But as a person, we have a different life as well. Being a parent does not mean that we don't have a life. We have a career, a family and our social circle. Having a child changes everything in our lives because a baby is a big responsibility. There's a lot that goes into taking care of a child. From finances to emotions to time and energy, you can't have enough of it for a child. More importantly, a couple needs to be mentally prepared to have a baby or it does a lot of damage to the couple and to the child. Once you have a child, most people usually take some time before planning a second child and if you're one of them, planning a second child it's important to remember that this can impact your first child and can turn out to be a big parenting challenge. It's a big change for your child to have another kid in the house and share everything with a new little baby. This can be a very sensitive and delicate situation and should be handled with care. Here are some things that you should keep in mind when planning a second child.
1. It's important for the mother to be ready mentally and physically. A woman's body changes a lot during the course of the pregnancy and after but after the first time, it's important to be sure that you're ready to go through all of that again. Ask yourself if you will be able to manage 2 children and if your body is ready for it or not!
2. Take this opportunity to think about your career and where it's going. Having a second child might hamper your career again and are you really ready for that to happen all over again? There are high chances that you might have to give it up altogether and if that's the case are you prepared for it?
3. Having a child is expensive and having a second one requires more finances and the real and the most important question is are you financially stable enough to support a second child and the upbringing of 2 children? Will you be able to sponsor your child's education through school and college? And will you have enough for your own future as well?
4. One of the most important things to do is to prepare your first child for the arrival of the baby. If your child is old enough to understand the situation slowly explain everything to your child. Remember to be careful throughout and make it a fun and inclusive experience for your child. Make sure that they never feel uncomfortable or jealous or competitive.
5. Discuss the baby with your partner and understand if they are prepared for a second child as well. Take the time to figure out if your relationship can handle the stress of having another child. Seek counselling for the same if the need be.