Coronavirus: Symptoms, prevention and all you need to know about the virus
New Delhi : A new flu-like virus, named Coronavirus, has gripped China and it is growing with a huge pace. More than 2000 people in China have been diagnosed to it and 56 people have been reportedly killed due to the virus attack with its epicenter in Wuhan.
Earlier, it was believed that the virus originated from seafood market which could only spread from animals to humans. The Chinese health authorities have now confirmed human-to-human transmission of this virus.
The authorities across the world are taking all possible measures to ensure safety of the people from the deadly virus. Strict health screening of passengers arriving from Wuhan has been advised by US officials. Countries like South Korea, Thailand and Japan have also confirmed few cases of coronavirus.
What is Coronavirus?
It is a term that has been given to the newly identified flu-like disease which can range from a common cold to respiratory diseases like Middle East Respiratory Syndrome and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (also known as SARS).
A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans.
Symptoms of Coronavirus
The symptoms of most coronaviruses are similar to any other upper-respiratory infection, including runny nose, coughing, sore throat, fatigue, headache, shortness of breath and fever in some cases.
How does Coronavirus spread?
- Coronavirus can transmit from an infected person via
- Close contact like shaking hands, touching or any other personal contact
- Touching any surface or object with virus on it; you must wash your hands before touching your mouth, eyes, nose in such a situation
- Transmission is also possible through air via coughing or sneezing
Prevention of Coronavirus
- WHO recommends simple precautions steps to control the spread of coronavirus. Some of the precautions include-
- Wash your hands regularly especially after visiting someone who is sick
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing
- Cook meat and eggs thoroughly
- You should avoid close contact with anyone with symptoms of respiratory illness
The above mentioned information is a generic information and a professional doctor is advised in case you want to get the check up done.