Grab your pillows! It is World Sleep Day on March 17
Los Angeles : Are you a lazy sleeper, well today is your day, yes, the world celebrates Sleep Day on Friday, March 17.
The day has been celebrated to make people aware about the key role sleep has to play in our lives and help people recognise the burdens sleep problems can bring.
The day also talks about celebrating sleep and provides a call to action on related issues.
It may be noted that lack of sleep can affect education, driving, and our social lives.
Doctors suggest that many sleep disorders stems from lack of sleep and are preventable or treatable, less than a third of sufferers seek help.
This year, World Sleep Day is being celebrated with the slogan ‘sleep soundly, nurture life’.
The general message of the slogan is that quality of life for those with sleeping disorders can be improved.
Scientists prove that those with Obstructive Sleep Apnoea are more likely to suffer from heart failure or strokes and can also experience higher blood pressure, and an increased chance of diabetes, obesity and other chronic illnesses.
So what are you waiting for, grab your pillows and sleep to your fulfillment.
Also, take a look at some good sleeping tips:
- Establish a regular bedtime and waking time.
- Don’t sleep for more than 45 minutes during the day.
- Avoid excessive amounts of alcohol four hours before bedtime and don’t smoke.
- Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, chocolate and fizzy drinks) six hours before bedtime.
- Avoid heavy, spicy, or sugary foods four hours before bedtime.
- Exercise regularly, but not right before bed.
- Use comfortable, inviting bedding.
- Find a comfortable sleep temperature setting and keep the room well ventilated.
- Block out all distracting noise and eliminate light.
- Reserve your bed for sleep and sex – don’t use it for work or general recreation.
Sleep tight let the bedbugs bite!